address: Telecooperation Office (TecO)
University of Karlsruhe
fon: +49 721 464704-12
fax: +49 721 96634187
Since April 2009 I work at the "Distributed and Ubiquitous Systems (DUS)" group of the "Institute of Operating Systems and Computer Networks" at the Technical University of Braunschweig. My page there is Martin Berchtold at DUS. Since my professor (Prof. Dr. Michael Beigl) moved from Braunschweig back to Karlsruhe and is now head of the new Pervasive Computing Chair, I partially work in Karlsruhe (3/4 of the time), too.
My former work at TecO was on the LoCostix project which is financed through BMBF. The aim of this project was the item level taging of goods with low-cost RFID-Tags. The development of an efficient mobile reading of the RFID-Tags in shelfs (solving the inventory problem) was my aim in the LoCostix project. Secondly, I was shortly (half a year) working in the BMBF financed project Landmarke
As a student research assistant I programmed the MemoClipII software for PocketPC 2002 and PalmOS. The MemoClipII is a handheld scheduler application which schedules events time and location sensitiv.
Incooperation with my Studienarbeit and a visit at University of Lancaster I did some work in the CSTK projekt. The CSTK (SourceForge) is a resource efficient toolkit for realtime sensor data processing and visualization.
Short Curriculum Vitae
- 1999 - 2007 Student of Computer Science at the University of Karlsruhe
- 2007 Diploma (aka Master) thesis at the University of Karlsruhe, TecO
- 2007 - Research Assistant/PhD Student at TecO
- Context recognition for ubiquitous environments.
- Activity recognition in wearable computing
- Quality of Context (QoC) - improvement of context-aware applications aka Uncertainty of Context
- Applications for mobile phones
- M. Berchtold, H. Guenther, Matthias Budde, M. Beigl Scheduling for a Modular Activity Recognition System to Reduce
Energy Consumption on SmartPhones,
24th International Conference on Architecture of Computing Systems (ARCS'11), 2nd Workshop on Context-Systems Design, Evaluation and Optimization (CoSDEO), Como, Italy, February 22-25, 2011.
- M. Berchtold, M. Budde, D. Gordon, H. Schmidtke, M. Beigl ActiServ: Activity Recognition Service for Mobile Phones,
Fourteenth Annual IEEE International Symposium on Wearable Computers (ISWC'10), Seoul, Korea, October 10-13, 2010.
- M. Berchtold, M. Budde, H. Schmidtke, M. Beigl An Extensible Modular Recognition Concept that Makes Activity Recognition Practical,
33rd Annual German Conference on Artificial Intelligence (KI'10), Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Karlsruhe, Germany, September 21-24, 2010.
- M. Berchtold, H. Guenther, M. Beigl A Demonstration of a Robust Context Classification System (CCS) and its Context ToolChain (CTC),
Demonstration on the Eighth International Conference on Pervasive Computing (Pervasive'10), 17-20 May 2010, Helsinki, Finland.
- H. Guenther, F. El Simrany, M. Berchtold, M. Beigl A Tool Chain for a Lightweight, Robust and Uncertainty-based Context Classification System (CCS),
23rd International Conference on Architecture of Computing Systems (ARCS'10), 1st Workshop on Context-Systems Design, Evaluation and Optimization (CoSDEO), Leibnitz Universitaet Hannover, Hannover, Germany, Februar 22-25, 2010.
- M. Berchtold, T. Riedel, K. van Laerhoven, C. Decker Gath-Geva Specification and Genetic Generalization of Takagi-Sugeno-Kang Fuzzy Models,
IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (SMC'08), Suntec Singapore International Convention Exhibition Centre, Singapore, October 12-15, 2008.
- M. Berchtold, T. Riedel, M. Beigl, C. Decker AwarePen - Classification Probability and Fuzziness in a Context Aware Application,
The 5th International Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing (UIC'08), Oslo University College, Oslo, Norway, June 23-25, 2008.
- M. Berchtold, T. Riedel, C. Decker, M. Beigl, C. Bittel Quality of Location: Estimation, System Integration and Application,
The 5th International Conference on Networked Sensing Systems (INSS'08) June 17 - 19, 2008, Kanazawa, Japan
- C. Decker, M. Berchtold, L. Weiss F. Chaves, M. Beigl, D. Roehr, T. Riedel, M. Beuster, T. Herzog, D. Herzig Cost-Benefit Model for Smart Items in the Supply Chain,
The Internet of Things (IoT'08) March 26-28, 2008, Zurich, Swiss
Improving registering of RFIDTransponder tags utilizing mobile readers on shopping carts, 11.03.2008
Student Work and Technical Reports
Work of Students